29 December 2010

Indochina(Thailand) - Post No 24: Mae Sai to Chiang Rai 160km


26 December 2010

It was a short ride to Chiang Rai, though definitely not an easy one as we took the route that goes through Doi Tung and Mae Salong. It was the 1149 that runs along the border with Burma. There's a Thai military checkpoint that also provides an excellent viewpoint to gaze at the endless layers of Burmese mountain.

Checkpoints



It is a proper bunker, if you're wondering.
Then we proceeded to Mae Salong a tourist town that's famous for it's Chinese presence. There's plenty of Chinese Tea shops that you can try out. We had our lunch at a Chinese Muslim restaurant and coffee afters at another place. You sit on the balcony with a cuppa and just enjoy the view.

That's Chiang Rai down there



I can do this all day......
I was taking a pic of the cake........honest!
In Chiang Rai, I wanted to check out the White Temple, something that I missed the last time I was here. Now this is a new temple and unlike the rest over here, it's white. The artist who's building it didn't want to paint it gold as he says it signifies greed. Guess what was painted gold at this place?.......the toilets...haha. Though there's just some things that I don't quite understand, esp the Predator coming out of the ground. I'm like....dude...WTF?





white girl, white dress, white temple


By this time I have done close to 9000km since leaving Malaysia and I must say I'm enjoying the corners a bit too much here. Just check out the side by side of my tires, brand new vs now to see what I mean.

smoothen the edges as well.....
I'll just end this post with a very graceful shot.

As graceful as a hippo in full flight.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...