15 December 2010

Indochina(Thailand) - Post No 19: Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai 260km


14 December 2010

I really wished I could have stayed another day at Chiang Rai, especially since I found this really nice budget hotel. You may laugh at the name "Moon and Sun City Hotel" but trust me on this one, it's really good value for money. I literally begged them for another night but they were full. I did'nt feel like packing my stuff just to move to another hotel and go through the unpacking again, hence why I made my way to Chiang Mai.


covered parking as well
I have no intention of taking the highway, so off to the trunk roads we go again as I head up to Mae Chan and took route 1089 to Mae Ai. Beautiful roads with little traffic. 

Now you're gonna think this may be a recurring theme but I'm just grateful to run into very helpful people, cause you see as I came into a small town called ThaTon I thought it looked like a good place for a lunch break. As I stop in front of a cafe, a big Englishman came to check the bike out.

Checking it out
His name is Chris and we struck a conversation and talking about the roads and routes, the next thing I know he tells me he's gonna go back home to take the maps to show me. Comes back with the GT-Rider maps, while he tells me the routes I should take and those to avoid, and a lot of valuable tips. Not only that, he also gives me the maps for free. Also ask if I have everything I need for the bike, and if I'm coming again this way, I'm welcomed to stay over at his place for free.
having a laugh
I've always been a fan of British wit and it's funny as he relates when he went home to get the maps he told his wife about me and she wanted to come and meet me as well. He tells her "no, no, he too handsome, you stay home" haha.

The owner of the cafe also just gets on the bike and leaves the place for a good hour as I chatted with Chris, he says she knows he's around so it's ok. Definitely a cool laidback small town by the river.

GT-Rider maps
Chris
Armed with local knowledge I took the road heading to Chiang Do and took a loop up Doi Ang Khang. Now only after I did it was I told Doi Ang Khang is one of the steepest mountain roads in Thailand. I can definitely attest to that, having ridden it, going up I had to use a lot of 1st gear and coming down a lot of prayer as I prayed hard that my brakes don't fail. It was like "please fluid don't boil, don't boil, don't boil" cause I'm jamming on it so hard.

awesome view to the right
Steep climb
From Chiang Do, I joined route 107 that takes me to Chiang Mai just as night falls (again another recurring theme...hehe). This time gonna take a few days off as I sort out the bike and laundry....god knows I'm in dire need of clean clothes by now.

Fuel Consumption
1. Chiang Rai 199.1km 285baht 8.216liter


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...