15 December 2010

Indochina(Thailand) - Post No 18: Chiang Khong to Chiang Rai 190km

13 December 2010


We are in Thailand......alrite! I had lamented the decision to cross last night especially with the "extras" that I had to fork out,  I'm glad I did. I spent the night at Green Inn and honestly, for 500baht I believe you cannot do better. It helped that they've only been open for 10days, so everything is brand new. 



I was gonna take my time to go to Chiang Rai as it's only less than 2 hours and thought, just chill out, have a nice relaxed breakfast, and this is why I'm glad I did. I met some people who gave me advise on different routes to take, first it was Tim who showed me on the GT-Rider map. Then David and Mai met me as I came back to the hotel. David was brilliant, just comes up to me and ask "you got everything you need?"


We then went for coffee as we exchanged stories of riding in these parts of the world, and they gave me some good riding tips. David even phoned up the mechanic in BMW Chiang Mai to expect me as I will need to sort out a couple of issues when I'm there. He also tells me to take the back roads that hugs the border and flanked by the Mekong and going up into the mountains. You guys are so helpful and just lovely. Thanks!

David and Mai = Awesome!
The route will take me up to Chiang Saen, Mae Sai, Doi Thung (Doi means mountain) as I make a big loop to head to Chiang Rai. Good thing I left at 12pm as 30minutes from Chiang Khong on the old road to Chiang Saen is this resort/restaurant that overlooks the Mekong and Laos that's just so serene. You're also surrounded by a well organised vegetable garden. I get to sit on the Thai side and enjoy looking at Laos across the river.




Mekong separating the countries
It's hard work ok....hehe

I continue to hug the border as I made my way to Golden Triangle and Mae Sai, the border between Thailand and Burma. I passed the opium museum and asked at information can I smoke some here, as that'd be the only reason why I would stop there....obviously the answer was no...welll i tried...haha.


I was surprised with the size of Mae Sai, especially since I came from Chiang Khong. It really is a big town. It didn't really interest me to cross over to Burma, so I skipped that and continued to Doi Thung, and it was a difficult one I must say, from flat ground, suddenly I'm staring at a steep incline. It's just straight up with many 1st gear hairpins, but the view was oh so worth it. You look at the valley below you on the left and the mountain ranges of Burma on your right, ahh all I can say the view is beyond belief. You also come across these military checkpoints but they didn't hassle me at all, most they asked was where I was headed to.



Burma in the background

The pictures really doesn't do justice as this is something you gotta see in person. If I could bottle this and sell it, I'd make millions. I made it to Chiang Rai just as night falls so in the end it worked out well for me.

Fuel Consumption
1. Chiang Khong 198km 300baht 8.68liters





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...