17 December 2010

Indochina(Thailand) - Post No 20: Chiang Mai

17 December 2010

Tomorrow marks my 30th day on the road since leaving Malaysia and I'm celebrating it by heading out to Nan via highway 1148. Google this highway and you'll find bold claims of it being if not one of the best, then THE best motorcycling highway in Thailand, so I'm really looking forward to it.

I stayed in Chiang Mai longer than I wanted to as I needed to send the bike in for service, it's sounding a bit rough, with the oil pressure light coming on when in town and cutting out on a couple of occasion. Well after 6000km in 20 plus days I guess this is normal. 

In the mean time it does give me the time to explore this city which I did predominantly on foot. I was lucky to discover Rider's Cafe, and meet the owner Phillip. In fact it was him that told me about Nan and Loei, not only that, also lent me his copy of the Guidebook to Golden Triangle, chronicling the best motorcycling routes in North Thailand. He's just opened the place less than a week, restaurant cum guesthouse. He's a good go to guy if you need any information with relating to biking in Thailand.


When u own the place you get to park your KTM and Harley there...
The city is definitely easy to navigate and walk around, with main attractions such as the Wats and market nearby. Though it's the 2nd largest city in Thailand it's far more relaxed. It also has a moat around it as you see remnants of the gate that used to surround this city.


Tired walking? take tuk tuk la


Moat


Back to the bike, today I received a call from them saying that the bike is ready so I said I'm making my way there straight away. I think there must have been a miscommunication somewhere as by the time I got there they were out for lunch and asked me to come back in an hour. At first I wasn't too pleased until they offered to send me to Carrefour for lunch and pick me up again in an hours time. So that's awesome service there.

The work done on the bike was pretty extensive with the main cause of cutting out attributed to the plugs. I was shocked to see rust on one of the plugs, something I had not counted on for a new bike. You can see it for yourself.



The other stuff done includes:

1. Service - oil and oil filter change, includes flushing as well
2. Cleaned the chain, adjusted the tension
3. Cleaned the fuel filter (wanted to change but they didn't have it in stock)
4. Replace blown headlamp bulb.
5. Cleaned the air filter
6. Update the map

They had to take some time to update the map, but I didn't really mind especially since I had Ann to chat to.

Ann
The bike feels awesome now, far more responsive and smooth, sounds good too. The bill came out to 5,300baht, so pretty good value for money considering the work done. I don't mind recommending this place should you need your BMW bike serviced while up north in Thailand. Definitely gives me added confidence to continue my tour knowing that the bike is sorted.

Ask for Khun Kumphol when you're there


service bay


I'm gonna hook up with Husref in Loei as he rides up on the 19th where it'll be a two bike adventure from then on until we come back sometime in January. Do notice that I said sometime as honestly, I have no idea what date I'll be back, and that's what making this trip good. I'll end this post with something that a friend shared with me that just describes what I'm doing very well. Enjoy!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...