01 November 2010

Kuala Tahan - BMW Motorrad Club, Malaysia Event

It was a 3 days 2 nights event held in Rainforest Resort, Kuala Tahan and I was looking forward to it as I've never been to that area, so it's virgin roads baby. Many may have heard this "the road is only new once" so you never know what to expect.

As some of us has commitments in the day we could only leave after prayers. Initially there were 4 of us meeting at BHP, then we were joined by another 3 making it a group of 7. With the exception of 1 RT the rest are of the GS variant.

Leaving BHP
It was a pretty straightforward and uneventful ride on Karak heading for the Temerloh/Mentakab exit, well it was anyways until I decided to pull a stunt. In the spirit of chronicling events while on the move I decided to take out my camera from the pouch just to snap a couple off, now pay attention coz there's a bit of science coming out here, because the pouch was open, it created a vortex that sucked out my glasses (i was wearing my sunnies at the time) and my 1 day old camera pouch. Nik who was behind me had to take evasive maneuvers when a couple of black stuff flew at him. Oh i could just imagine the headline "Biker stabbed by flying glasses" and the resulting aftermath "Ministry bans all glasses".

So lesson learnt there:
No 1: No open pouches on the move. 
No 2: Claudio von Planta you're not.


Best i got for my troubles.
It also started to rain while we're on the highway and in my infinite wisdom i decided not to wear my rain liner for the jacket and boots as it looks like the sky was clearing up ahead.............it didn't. Only when we reached the toll exit to regroup that i put it on, and yes no points for guessing it right.........the rain stopped. I was like not only I lost my glasses and my feet is wet, I feel like a numbnut for wearing the liner after the rain stopped....haha jokes on me la today.

After 250km of riding, we arrived in Kuala Tahan just as night falls to be greeted by the sight of so many Beemers parked, and to think that there are more arriving the next day. As you can see GS is pretty much BMW's bread and butter.

Something majestic about an Adventure


Dinner was  kampung style buffet followed by what else.....teh tarik la. So we went to the floating restaurants by the jetty. We talked about next day's agenda, the off road or canopy walk. I was mulling about this for a while as I've never done any form of off-road, so there's the skills (lack off) issue and concerns that I might damage the bike before my trip.

Husref also gotten himself a GoPro but has not installed it. so there we were late into the night reading the manual and trying to figure out a good mounting place on the bike and helmet.

The river ferries
The lure of putting the GS through it's natural element proved to be too strong to resist so at 10am we gathered for the briefing, important for noob like me.

GoPro curious
Off roading GS' 
Start of the off road
We were taken through the jungle tracks as well as plantation. Good thing it didnt rain the night before as that would have made it tough for us. All the while I'm trying to remember Fadil's briefing, stay loose, arms open, feet close to the bike. There were some pretty steep gradient which if I was to guess was about 25deg, which if you were to go down too fast would leave you wondering whether you can slow down enough not to hit the bike in front or even go off the ravine....interesting stuff i tell ya.


My fave shot.
Husref and I also became the designated cameramen, so we would recce ahead and position ourselves to try and capture some decent shots. There's also video but I currently do not possess the necessary skills to edit it, so I guess that'll have to wait for now. We're amateurs......but we try. 

Logging
Fadil leading the pack
GS gallore
After a solid couple of hours off roading, we made our way back just in time for lunch at the jetty restaurant. It took freaking ages to get our food. I'm like how difficult is it to make nasi goreng? Do you have to google the recipe or what? So if you to come here, be warned....speed is definitely not of the essence.

Heading back
The event closed off with the AGM, where Minesh got elected as the new president of the club and a new set of committee selected as well. They were giving out awesome prizes for the lucky draw, but bummer, nothing for me.



All in all it was an enjoyable event where I got to make new friends who i'll most probably be seeing more off in the near future. The food was awesome and the free flow was ehem ehem....free.

On Sunday as the group made it's way back to KL, I went on my own to Kuala Terengganu. So stay tuned for my next update......


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...