19 December 2012

2012 Indochina Tour

Friday 14/12/12

I suppose I gotta get this blog going coz it's not gonna write itself isn't it? It's been ages since I last went for a long trip and  it's high time I rectify this. There were so many challenges leading up to the trip that at 1 point I had thought I just might have to call it off. My travelling partner for this trip is Husref and we were supposed to leave on the 12th but as I mentioned, there were stuff to sort out so it became 14th afternoon for us.

We ride again!
  The first stop is Phattalung, 650km away. As we left KL about 3 we thought Hatyai would be a good place to stop and put up the night. Unfortunately, this being a Friday and it's school holidays (though I doubt the school hols has anything to do with it), Hatyai was quite full. So a decision was made to push up another 100km to Phattalung, plus that would give us a good headstart out of there.

Just happy to be on the bike

Last stop in Changlun before we cross the border.
First meal across the border. It's TomYum country!
We're not advocates of night riding but I'm comforted by the fact that if needs to, both of us are able to do so. We crossed the border at 8.30pm and there was still another 150km to go, so you can imagine what time we reached Phattalung.

Anyways, the weirdest part of the last 150km was that from Changlun to Phattalung the roads were wet ALL the way. Not a single dry patch yet we were not riding in the rain. Did we just miss the rain all 150kms?

When it comes to hotels, Agoda is my friend. Through it, I found Chai Kana Thani Hotel at 70bucks, it's well within our budget. Oh yes, did I tell you we had a budget of RM50 a night per person? Well we kinda burst this budget the 2nd night but I'll tell you more about it later.

Why are my socks wet? Taping up torn boots.
Btw, I didn't tell you our trip plans yet did I? Well here's the short version.Get on bikes and head North. Reach Bangkok turn right and head East. Reach Cambodia turn left and head up North. Reach Laos turn left head West. Reach Thailand head South back home.All in 3 weeks or thereabouts.

Ok the slightly longer version is that we want to do Cambodia. I didn't really have a chance to sample what Cambodia has to offer the last time I was here as we kinda just passed through on the way to Vietnam. These places are on our hit list. Sihanoukville, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and we'll make adjustmensts as we go along. Then there's Laos, where the last time I was there in 2010 I sampled Northern Laos pretty extensively but none of the South and as for Husref, he's never been there.

So stay tuned as I update this blog for what these 2 clueless boys are up to on their adventure around Indochina. 

*There's more pics on my phone but I forgot the cable as I type this so I'll update that later.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...